Wednesday , 28 February 2024
Home Global news Chantelle Cameron v Katie Taylor 2: Rematch not under threat after Dublin riots, says Eddie Hearn
Global news

Chantelle Cameron v Katie Taylor 2: Rematch not under threat after Dublin riots, says Eddie Hearn


Katie Taylor waves to the crowd
Katie Taylor suffered her first defeat in May to Chantelle Cameron
Venue: 3Arena, Dublin Date: Saturday, 25 November
Coverage: Radio commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live from 22:00 GMT; live text coverage on the BBC Sport website & app from 21:00 GMT.

Katie Taylor and Chantelle Cameron both made weight for their world title fight on Saturday night at Dublin’s 3Arena.

Both fighters tipped the scales at a fraction over 9st 3lb, with home fighter Taylor fractionally heavier.

There was a nervous energy inside The Helix at Dublin City University (DCU), although there was a cordial face-off.

Just like six months ago, Taylor was accompanied by violin duo Sephira for her entrance. Unlike at the weigh-in for the first fight however, Taylor emerged first.

There were a few boos for Cameron when she appeared. The reception was excellent for Taylor, who gave a quick wave to the crowd and then quickly exited the stage once the face-off was done.

Taylor spoke briefly on Matchroom’s YouTube channel afterwards, saying: “[I’m] definitely very very hungry, very excited.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been this motivated for a fight.”

Cameron v Taylor not under threat after Dublin riots – Hearn

Friday’s weigh-in happened against the backdrop of violence in Dublin after three children and one woman were stabbed on Parnell Square East on Thursday afternoon.

DCU campus lies just outside the centre of the city, about a 20-minute drive from where riots occurred overnight.

Buses and cars were set alight, shops were looted and Irish police were injured.

The weigh-in remained open to the public and was well attended by university students.

Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn told BBC Sport that Saturday’s fight at the 3Arena was not under threat and Irish authorities had not yet reached out expressing concern.

“Hopefully we have a bit of distance between now and the fight where things can calm down and we can let this country celebrate what is an iconic moment for the sport of boxing, and also one of their icons in Katie Taylor,” Hearn said.

Asked if Matchroom would be employing extra security measures on Saturday night, Hearn added: “The measures that are already in place are well beyond that of a normal event but obviously if we have to, it’s not a problem also.

“If there is a conversation to be had it will be had. But at the moment everybody comfortable with the measures in place and ready to move forward with the event.”

Taylor’s homecoming in May was only made possible by extra security measures because of a shooting at a boxing weigh-in in 2016.

Big professional boxing events were effectively banned in Ireland since that gang-related incident at Dublin’s Regency Hotel which left one man dead.

Meanwhile, one of the fight’s main sponsors, Conor McGregor, is now not expected to attend the fight, according to Hearn.

Ireland’s former MMA world champion, who was at the first fight six months ago, posted messages on social media on Thursday before the riots, saying Ireland was “at war” and spread information online about the nationality of the attacker.

When asked by the BBC about those comments, Ireland’s Deputy Prime Minister Micheal Martin replied:external-link “There have been many comments I’ve watched online about that type, which are absolutely disgraceful.”

The Tanaiste added: “Isolated voices like that and voices that essentially are inciting hate and a degree of, to some extent, incitement is unacceptable.”

Sources have indicated to the BBC that the man suspected of carrying out the attack is an Irish citizen in his late 40s who has lived in the country for 20 years.

Ireland’s police chief, Garda Commissioner Drew Harris, said there had been an “element of radicalisation” to the riot.

The “extraordinary outbreak of violence” had come after “hateful assumptions” were made based on material circulating online in the wake of the stabbings, he added.





Source link

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Global news

Week in pictures: 6-12 January 2024

A selection of striking images from around the world, taken over the...

Global news

Gabriel Attal: Youngest French PM hopes to revive Macron's government

France’s youngest PM is already popular with the public but how long...

Global news

'We need jungle' – Amol Rajan on how a University Challenge question spawned a remix craze

The University Challenge host on how one question went viral and inspired...

Global news

Newspaper headlines: ‘Houthis on warpath’ and ‘Queen’s final hours’

Image caption, A photo of a smiling Elizabeth II – the last...